Re: Subscriptions to "ietf-honest"

2009-03-23 17:55:41
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:46, Steven M. Bellovin
<smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu> wrote:

It's happened to me twice, with two different lists of his.  I've
complained to him, but to no avail.  I wonder if the CAN SPAM act
applies.

    Unfortunately, no, thanks to (deliberate?) loopholes and
shortfalls of the bill.  The bill actually does not require prior
permission, only a way out and some other ridiculous minimums.  When
it was written and passed, Congress told the FTC to report within 24
months on the effectiveness; in their report, they recommended no
changes.  Makes you wonder if they even paid any attention, or just
clicked a box on a Congress intranet website poll.

    There was a decent article in Wired(1) shortly after the bill came
through.  Just looked it up for your reference now.  Interesting read,
just over five years later, to see how things have actually gotten
worse since this took "effect."

    [1]  http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2004/01/62020

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel(_dot_)brown(_at_)parasane(_dot_)net || danbrown(_at_)php(_dot_)net