Re: Subscriptions to "ietf-honest"

2009-03-23 18:31:37

--On March 23, 2009 5:46:54 PM -0400 "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:35:35 -0400
Melinda Shore <melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I was auto-subscribed to Dean's "ietf-honest" mailing
list, and I'm unhappy about it.  I don't know what his
current status is with regard to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
mailing list but I think he's pretty clearly abusing
this mailing list by snagging names from it and
putting us on his mailing list without asking.  I'm also
not thrilled that the "welcome" message he sends out
fails to clearly identify who's sending it and that
he does not represent the IETF.  This is a small problem
but a problem nonetheless.

It's happened to me twice, with two different lists of his.  I've
complained to him, but to no avail.  I wonder if the CAN SPAM act
applies.

I think so, specifically the provisions AGAINST sending mail to a harvested email address.