Re: [mif] WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-22 16:55:36
Excerpts from Ted Hardie on Wed, Apr 22, 2009 10:21:10AM -0700:
At 7:29 AM -0700 4/22/09, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

(1) As I pointed out in my previous message to Christian, address
selection is not (today) a transport-layer or application-layer function
in most cases.  Given that this is currently an Internet-layer function,
I think it makes sense to analyze the issues with address selection (as
part of the whole address/interface/router selection process)  in an
Internet Area group.  If we find that one of the problems we have is
that the Internet layer doesn't have the right information to make these
decisions, then possibly some follow-on work might need to be chartered
elsewhere.

So this may be simply one of those cases where address selection
does not fit your model, but at what layer would you describe the ICE
spec as working?  Clearly, one aim in ICE is to provide a signalling-path
mechanism for flow endpoint selection, which certainly relates to the question
of address/interface selection.

As I understand it, the ICE client is not deciding on what address to
use on its packets, it is _discovering_ what address it is using and
then communicating that to its peers as payload (not providing it as
fodder for a forwarding function).

Scott