RE: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-05 09:05:22
Last but not least, just filter out anything between < and > and
replace a few &xxx; sequences and you're back to plain text. We could
probably even format RFCs such that if you remove the HTML, you're
left with the current ASCII format.

You seemed to have missed the point.

Almost all RFCs have ASCII art in them,
and although perhaps not absolutely needed for correct implementation
they are necessary to comprehend the document.

When you improperly break lines these figures are irreversibly corrupted,
and in essence you lose a large part of the document.

In fact, you lose exactly the same information that you would lose
were we to standardize some other format that embeds characters without
compression
and merely pull the ASCII characters out.

So if you object to using a non-ASCII format because it will not be 100%
readable
30 years from now, you should object to using the present format today.

Y(J)S