RE: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-05 09:13:22
To save time, I would suggest adopting the Patent Office rules on
Perpetual Motion. People advocating for a change to facilitate figures
(or to allow complicated math, such as tensor analysis) should have an
existence proof, i.e., a document that requires the change to be
published. (A document that left the IETF to be published elsewhere
for this reason would also do.)

Marshall

If I remember correctly, draft-ash-alt-formats gave such examples.

G.805 diagrams were needed for some of the PWE and MPLS work,
but could not be put in the desired format.

I personally started writing up a description of a packet loss concealment
technique,
but had to give up due to the formulas not being transcribable
(I had no problem submitting a patent application instead).

In TICTOC we are not even considering attempting any work that needs math,
but rather leave it to other SDOs.
It is considered a limitation of the system.

Y(J)S