Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-02 17:04:50
Sam,

On 2009-09-03 05:53, Sam Hartman wrote:

1) Open up the rfc-editorial board so that it was selected by some sort of
nomcom/community process.  That nomcom could of course draw from a broader
community than the IETF as a whole

I'm certainly in favour of transparency in the process of setting
up the Independent stream's editorial board. I could see value in
an open call for nominations. However, you're asking for it to be
set up in way that's very different from the typical editorial board
for a scholarly journal or the typical technical programme committee
for a scholarly conference. It seems to me that the editor needs
to have the final say in the membership, because s/he needs to be able
to work well with all the board members.

Also, I have no idea how to define the community for the Independent
stream. ISOC members? RIR members? ICANN community? ACM? BCS? IEEE?
Where would it end?

    Brian

N.B. I am a member of the current RFC Editorial Board, by invitation
from the current RFC Editor.