Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-01 06:06:44

On Aug 31, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

And now back to the input that I wanted to hear. I would like to get a sense from the list whether you prefer (a) that any exceptional IESG note is just a recommendation to the RFC Editor or (b) something that is always applied to the published RFC. Please reply before the next IESG meeting on September 10. Some e-mails on this topic have already been sent in the Last Call thread -- I have seen those and there is no need to resend.

I am happy to see the document being reverted so that an IESG note is exceptional.

Over the last years I've started to appreciate the fact that the RFC Series is not exclusively an IETF series. On the other hand I am sensitive to the argument that most consumers of RFCs do not see the fine distinction between standards track and non-standards track RFCs, let alone the difference between non-standards track from various streams. Headers and Boilerplates tried to address that and hopefully helps to clarify the fact that not every RFC is an IETF Standards Track document.

However, the whole RFC streams framework has been build with complete independence of the various stream in mind. In my opinion that makes sense. The IAB should not be able to force notes on IETF stream documents, the IRTF should not be able to put them on IAB stream documents, and the IESG should not be able to force them on IRTF, IAB and Independent documents. In other words it is not clear to me why the combination IESG and the Independent stream should have a special status. And, as other mentioned, deciding about that special status is not a matter that rests solely with the IESG/IETF stream.

I do think that in essence this is a fairly theoretical discussion. I believe that in general notes from the IESG will have merit and recommendations will in general be followed, specifically since they are likely to be exceptional. In the case that the judgement, by the IESG and ISE, of merit conflicts, there is a procedure in RFC 5620.

I'm for (a).

--Olaf (no hats)

                                       Science Park 140,