Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-18 14:50:41

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
We are therefore asking for input from the community by two means - by
commenting on the IETF discussion list,

Marshall,

Thanks for asking.

I've only been to China a couple of times, but it was enough to be impressed, particularly with many aspects of their Internet technical and operations savvy.

Alas, that's not the question here.

As a community, we of the IETF are extremely diverse, extremely undisciplined, and extremely insensitive. In particular, attempting to place us into an environment with distinctive political constraints is loaded with risk. We can't even follow local customs to avoid sitting in inappropriate places in the hotel (Munich), nevermind the already-noted exchange that took place at the last IETF Plenary...

We should try to avoid venues that have visa challenges and behavior challenges. Our diversity ensures that the former will be a real problem. Our unruliness makes the latter quite likely to be a problem.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking