RE: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-18 15:35:00

The IETF does not and cannot make any warranties relating to the political
views, manners or behavior of attendees.   The attendees are responsible for
their own actions, and the IETF has no ability ensure their conformance to
local laws or customers.  If attendees violate the laws or customs of the host
country, they may face consequences -- but they're on their own.

So if the question is whether the IETF should sign any agreement that takes
responsibility for the behavior attendees, I'd say that this is a bad idea.
It's not really an issue of politics -- I'd say the same thing if the meeting
were being held in Palm Beach and the city requested that the IETF take
responsibility for ensuring that participants conformed to the dress code (no
white after labor day!).