RE: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-18 17:32:22

Technically, the IETF (or ISOC or IAOC) will not be signing the
agreement, the host in China will, but that's in some sense a fairly
minor detail. We would still be expected to "play by the rules".

I don't think anyone is expecting us to warrant the views or
behaviors of our attendees, so Marshall's question is really about
disclosing what the rules are ("you have been warned") and asking the
community if they can live with those rules. And yes, if you break the
rules, you're on your own, but if it brings down the meeting (and
network in the process) that's not good for anyone, but we feel it is
VERY unlikely to happen.

Whether or not we should meet in China based on principles of
free speech and such is, I think, something we need to come to
at least a rough consensus on. We, the IAOC, are confident that
a meeting there would be successful by the usual criteria that
we apply for meetings, but we recognize that the matter at hand
is important and thus it is being disclosed prior to any agreement
being made.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj