Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-20 14:57:21
Roni wrote:

Furthermore I believe that even though people are allowed to have their
opinions about a specific country politics or values the IETF is not the
place to bring them forward regardless of the meeting location. The IETF is
a technical body and not the UN.

Yes. It really will not be a productive use of email space to comment on each other's countries as if we had studied the culture and socio-political situation in any more depth than the mass media in our own countries shows us.

Surely individuals are free to make their own choices about attending or staying away. If sufficient individuals stated their intention to stay away (for whatever reason), that would give the IAOC pause for thought because the success of the meeting is dependent on attendance. But otherwise we should just make up our own minds and act on our own principles.

Adrian