RE: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-19 17:51:22
Hi,
I support this view.
Furthermore I believe that even though people are allowed to have their
opinions about a specific country politics or values the IETF is not the
place to bring them forward regardless of the meeting location. The IETF is
a technical body and not the UN.

Roni Even

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Steve Crocker
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:56 PM
To: IETF Discussion; IAOC IAOC
Subject: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a
future meeting of the IETF

The choice is between engaging and not engaging.  Engaging is better.
Not engaging isn't constructive.  The Internet and the IETF are all
about engaging, expanding, communicating and being open.  Much of this
dialog has been worried about possible extreme situations.  Let's
focus on the center.  More than a billion people live in China and
their use of the Internet is expanding rapidly.  They are building
much of the technology and contributing technically.  It's to
everyone's advantage to have comfortable, constructive interaction.
Our first slogan was "Networks Bring People Together."

If you prefer to focus on the negatives, here's my analysis:

If we don't go to China, we have charted a downhill course and the
rest of the world will come together without us.  The IETF will lose
relevance.

If we do go to China and something bad happens, the consequences will
be much worse for China than for the IETF.  The work of the IETF will
suffer a bit, but we'll recover quickly enough.  However, China's
quest for engagement with the rest of the world will be hurt more
seriously.

Bottom line: We should go to China with a positive attitude.  We're
robust enough to deal with any consequences.  If we don't go to China,
however, we have weakened ourselves.

Steve