Re: One level up on the IAOC decision in re: China.

2009-09-24 14:27:19
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:58:17AM -0700, Ted Hardie wrote:
Howdy,

I'd like to take one step up on this discussion.  When the discussions
[elided]
making it possible for participants to attend can have.  I think their
efforts to make it easier for colleagues from China to attend are
generally intended to alleviate a long-time problem in that regard,
and I support them.  But I think we have reached a gray area in our
decision making process, where the lines of what the community wanted
the IAOC to do when the IASA process was created don't quite match the
impact of this particular decision.

        hum...  from a strictly social POV, this whole argument
        seems to hinge on  an   "us" v. "them" mentality.  At what
        point do participants and colleagues become part of tthe
        "community"?  This (not so) subtle split between our
        engineering colleagues not blessed/cursed with living in
        or under out own particular (comfortable) rules is  demeaning
        at best and outright harmful at worst.

My personal take on the resolution of this is that the Chinese
government has provided a long-recognized way of routing around the
problem.  The "One Country/Two Systems" formulation created by Deng
Xiaoping sets aside special administrative regions that clearly are
part of China and yet do not share the characteristics which have been
of concern in this community consultation.  If we can make
participation easier for our Chinese colleagues by meeting in Hong
Kong or Macau, I think we should do so, and I think so even if that
means the meeting must be unsponsored.

        hum... (again).  There is this right of sovreigns to make
        rules (my house, my rules) - Frankly, I'd be a bit more
        concerned holding mtgs in France or the US than in China,
        if only due to crypto rulings or electronic confiscation rules.

        Its not a perfect world kids. Being kind, polite and respectful
        goes a long way.

Again, I want to commend the IAOC on their consultation, and I hope
that we can find some way forward that meets the community's needs as
equitably as possible.  Speaking only for myself,

        for the -whole- community ...  :)

--bill

regards,

Ted Hardie