Re: One level up on the IAOC decision in re: China.

2009-09-24 14:53:49
       hum...  from a strictly social POV, this whole argument
       seems to hinge on  an   "us" v. "them" mentality.  At what
       point do participants and colleagues become part of tthe
       "community"?  This (not so) subtle split between our
       engineering colleagues not blessed/cursed with living in
       or under out own particular (comfortable) rules is  demeaning
       at best and outright harmful at worst.

I disagree; the rules of discourse within an IETF are the same for all
comers.  Those of the home country apply only in so far as the participant
brings them along. That might be self-censorship issue to which others
have alluded, or it might be concern that statements made at the mic
or in email are archived and available to those in the home country.
But the bar bof discussions and informal interactions are the same,
and we can't really challenge the other issue without losing some
other key parts of how the IETF operates.

       hum... (again).  There is this right of sovreigns to make
       rules (my house, my rules) -

It is China, as a sovereign country, that created "One Country/Two Systems".
I am merely pointing out that fact as a potential way to route around
this rathole (if you do not agree it is a problem).

       Its not a perfect world kids. Being kind, polite and respectful
       goes a long way.

Agreed.

Again, I want to commend the IAOC on their consultation, and I hope
that we can find some way forward that meets the community's needs as
equitably as possible.  Speaking only for myself,

       for the -whole- community ...  :)

Whole-heartedly agreed.

regards,

Ted Hardie

Still speaking, of course, as an individual