Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meetingof the IETF

2009-09-24 14:58:37

On Sep 24, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

Alan,

The most obvious answer to your question is that it is not at all
clear if the government would even reply or if they did, how long
it would take for them to reply, and even then, how much information
you would be able to take away from the reply apart from "don't break
the law".

Do you think any other government of any other country would provide
an answer in a manner and timeframe that would be at all be useful?

When I worked for the US Government, it was drilled into me that we did not and could not speak for the US government. Any advice we would give was just that, and
did not constrain the government in any way whatsoever.

The list of people who can speak authoritatively for the US Government is limited and (except for the President) the ways in which they can do so is very constrained. I would assume that the situation for the Chinese government is very similar, so unless one of us has a friendly relationship with President Hu Jintao we are highly unlikely to get
anything definitive.

But really, we do not believe that an IETF meeting would be breaking
any laws if we are conducting our normal IETF business.

+1

Marshall

Ole