Re: One level up on the IAOC decision in re: China.

2009-09-24 16:39:21

HUANG, ZHIHUI (JERRY), ATTLABS wrote:
Notwithstanding the letter (or the intent) of the quoted contract language,
many people here have pointed out that all sides (IETF, Chinese government,
the Hotel, and participants in China/Asia) want to have a successful IETF
meeting in China - if we are having a meeting in China. IMO It's going to
take a lot of agitation to get the locals riled up to upset/break up the
meeting.

Jerry,

Alas, the letter is, in fact, standing and present. It says what it says, and it is unique in our history. It cannot be ignored.

Also alas, nothwithstanding your excellent intentions, I suspect that you cannot speak for the government or the hotel, and we cannot know what behaviors will cause what damaging impact, nor can you reassure us about the limits that we must stay within. The issue is not one of strictly technical topics, but the ability of our community to navigate within those unknown limits.

We /can/ know that as a community, the IETF is often socially inept and even offensive. Some of us are proud of that. Others of us are chagrined. But our behavior has been quite consistent over two decades and there is no sign if its changing.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking