Re: If you found today's plenary debate on standards track tedious...

2009-11-12 21:11:05
I think this is a very good way forward. It is utterly futile to
expect anyone to sit down and work out what it would take to move HTTP
1.1 forward to Standard. Yet it is obviously a standard and the
current RFC is clearly good enough for most engineers to figure out.

I note that quite a few of the people who have been regular attendees
at IETF in the past have been laid off in the past 12 months. There
are very few companies that are prepared to invest in standards work
these days. Those that do are doing so on a much lesser scale than in
years past. It is really hard to justify participation in
organizations that provide few indicators for performance reviews. And
the issue is not simply what Fred IETFer might say to his manager, it
is what his manager says to his boss.

None of the calls I get from head hunters are looking for someone to
do standards work.