Re: RIM patents a URN (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

2009-11-19 20:53:16
In my company's case, we file IPR disclosures on patent applications as well as allowed claims. That is consistent with our corporate policy of encouraging innovation and patenting defensively; our disclosures as a rule include the fact that we do not seek monetary reward unless another party would rather trade IPR licenses mediated by expensive lawyers than accept a free RFC 1988 license.

One of the concerns with filing IPR-laden concepts in a standard without disclosure is that courts have been known to disallow the protections a patent provides when IPR has been disguised in the standards process. The IETF policy of disclosure is there to protect your patent rights, not disrupt them.

Your patent attorneys may want to rethink that matter.