RE: RIM patents a URN (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

2009-11-20 14:38:51

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Fred Baker
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:53 PM
To: Michael Montemurro
Cc: Cullen Jennings; IETF-Discussion list
Subject: Re: RIM patents a URN (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

In my company's case, we file IPR disclosures on patent applications
as well as allowed claims. That is consistent with our corporate
policy of encouraging innovation and patenting defensively; our
disclosures as a rule include the fact that we do not seek monetary
reward unless another party would rather trade IPR licenses mediated
by expensive lawyers than accept a free RFC 1988 license.

Fred - this is not only good corporate practice, disclosure of patent
applications
is unambiguously required by RFC 3977.