Re: Most bogus news story of the week

2009-12-18 12:54:28
Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Dec 18, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:

"Richard" == Richard L Barnes <rbarnes(_at_)bbn(_dot_)com> writes:

Richard> Here's (what the ITU claims is) the specific proposal that
Richard> has been made to the ITU: " An ITU spokesman said: "The ITU
Richard> has no plans to modify the BGP protocol, which is not an
Richard> ITU-T standard. "A proposal has been made, and is being
Richard> studied, to use BGP routers to collect traffic flow data,
Richard> which could be used, by bilateral agreement, by operators
Richard> for billing purposes."

Richard> "

Richard> Is this disingenuous or has the ITU really not heard of
Richard> netflow?

What's so bogus about wanting to charge for traffic?

Where I would raise a flag is, charge whom ?

This sounds very much like the way that international long distance used to be done. That the Internet does not support that is to me, at least, not a bug but a very desirable feature.

And you can get into transit charges. How much does Country B charge for data from Country A going to Country C?

Oh such FUN!!!! Shades of X.25 gateways! Oh, oh, and Teletypes. Oh yes it was SOOO much fun working out the best way to route messages back in my Automotive days... We need X.400-style routing tables back!

YES!!!! More jobs for all of us! Just skim a little of those mega bucks off to pay for our meetings....

Marshall

I mean you might
not want to have your traffic go somewhere where it's going to be
expensive, but governments have been charging for and taxing things for
a long time.

If the technical details of how to accomplish this are bogus (and
changing BGP to include flow data would be), then perhaps that should be
fixed. However judging something on all the things a spokesperson says
it is *not* seems counter productive.