Re: Most bogus news story of the week

2009-12-18 15:55:47

The work in ECRIT has certainly helped the state of deployed E911 over VoIP to
be much better today than it was in say 2000. More importantly, the progress
that the industry is making in various SDOs, including the IETF, has been the
primary factor that has caused regulators to not pass some regulations over
E911 and VoIP. In my opinion they type of regulations that would have been
passed at this early stage would probably have been overall harmful.

When you have a case like what happened in Canada where a child is dead and
probably would be alive had a PSTN phone had been used instead of a VoIP phone,
well it's not easy to convince regulators not to "Do something" about the
problem. Obviously I think we ought to be doing something about better
emergency calling but I believe a well thought out global industry based
approach is superior to a knee jerk driven reaction done on a country by
country basis.

Cullen