RE: Most bogus news story of the week

2009-12-19 12:47:41
The trick here is that the question is not so simple (or the answer to the
question is not so simple).
I was myself working with launching Internet in Europe from -87 and sure, we
had to pay quite a lot to
get our first connection to ISPs (then only in the US) so I am pretty sure I
have been in the situation
you talk about. "That we thought the situation was unfair."

Back in 1988, the cost a 64kbps connection between the south of France and New
Jersey was about $50K per year. The price of the connection between the south
of France and Paris was about the same. Technology drove down the cost of the
transatlantic connection. Deregulation drove down the price of the French
connection. Deregulation also boosted the availability of the Internet in
France.

-- Christian Huitema