Re: Most bogus news story of the week

2009-12-18 12:27:40

--On Friday, December 18, 2009 12:10 -0500 Marshall Eubanks
<tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:

What's so bogus about wanting to charge for traffic?

Where I would raise a flag is, charge whom ?

This sounds very much like the way that international long
distance used to be done. That the Internet does not support
that is to me, at least, not a bug but a very desirable
feature.

But, from the perspective of many of the participants in the ITU
(and some of the countries), that old regime was profoundly
attractive: easy to regulate, easy to tax, easy to decide who
gets to carry traffic in and out of the relevant country, etc.
This goes hand-in-hand with nostalgia for various forms and
properties of circuit-switched networks, especially wrt QOS,
emergency services, and network management.   Probably that
means that precisely the things that contribute to your seeing
it as a feature are things they consider bugs... or at least
appropriate only for research networks.

And then we wonder why we have trouble communicating with the
ITU and assorted bellheads :-(

     john