Re: Most bogus news story of the week

2009-12-18 16:12:37
On 2009-12-19 06:26, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, December 18, 2009 12:10 -0500 Marshall Eubanks
<tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:

What's so bogus about wanting to charge for traffic?
Where I would raise a flag is, charge whom ?

This sounds very much like the way that international long
distance used to be done. That the Internet does not support
that is to me, at least, not a bug but a very desirable
feature.

Maybe, but charging per byte and charging more for offshore bytes
are both entirely feasible for ISPs to do, and have been for many
years. Therefore, it's entirely feasible for governments to tax
such charges. So I'm not sure there is actually any news here.
Whether you'd be willing to trust IPFIX as the way to measure
traffic is another story, but really a detail.

What somebody (ISOC?) should do is counter the absurd meme that
the ITU is "the United Nations body in charge of internet standards."

But, from the perspective of many of the participants in the ITU
(and some of the countries), that old regime was profoundly
attractive: easy to regulate, easy to tax, easy to decide who
gets to carry traffic in and out of the relevant country, etc.
This goes hand-in-hand with nostalgia for various forms and
properties of circuit-switched networks, especially wrt QOS,
emergency services, and network management.   Probably that
means that precisely the things that contribute to your seeing
it as a feature are things they consider bugs... or at least
appropriate only for research networks.

Absolutely. Charging was at the root of the old PTT monopolist's
hatred of IP and their love of X.25. But that war was over many
years ago. Apparently a few soldiers have just emerged from hiding
in the forest, thinking the war is still in progress.

    Brian

And then we wonder why we have trouble communicating with the
ITU and assorted bellheads :-(

     john