RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-04 19:43:51
+1 Emphatically

If people want to do the work, why not let them try.

If they cannot succeed then shut it down.

That does bring up the more sensitive subject that the IETF as a whole needs
to consider which is when can it be determined that a WG is not succeeding.
That is a much much longer thread.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf
 Of Sam Hartman
 Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 5:41 PM
 To: Patrik Fältström
 Cc: codec(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Phillip Hallam-Baker;
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
 kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)oz(_dot_)au; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
 Subject: Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

 I've been thinking about the codec issue for a while.  I think it is
 really desirable for the IETF to charter this group.  I don't think
 the
 charter should prohibit the working group from selecting some existing
 codec nor should it prohibit doing new work in this space.