RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-05 12:11:53
Hi,
I do not think that the IETF should accept any work because people want to
do it, if this is the case a group of people can come and ask to start
working on any idea they have that has some relation to the Internet. IETF
should accept work that is in scope for of the IETF  and for which there is
enough knowledge to evaluate the work by the participants.

I am also curious about which area should have this WG, I am not sure it is
RAI work, in the past there were discussions if even AVT should be in RAI or
transport.

Roni Even

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Richard Shockey
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 3:43 AM
To: 'Sam Hartman'; 'Patrik Fältström'
Cc: 'Phillip Hallam-Baker'; codec(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)oz(_dot_)au; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

+1 Emphatically

If people want to do the work, why not let them try.

If they cannot succeed then shut it down.

That does bring up the more sensitive subject that the IETF as a whole
needs
to consider which is when can it be determined that a WG is not
succeeding.
That is a much much longer thread.