Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-05 11:04:43
I can see the motivation to pay big bucks for video codecs. Using
Mpeg4 can reduce your bandwidth costs and save real money. I can see
why there was a big incentive to save money on audio codecs in the
1990s.

At this point an audio codec is going to have to save a huge amount ot
bandwidth to be worth the hassle, let alone the cost of using
encumbered technology. A useful starting point would be to establish a
safe fallback using technology such a mu-law or a-law that nobody can
possibly claim they own without being referred to the reply given in
the famous case of Arkel vs. Pressdram.

The objective here is not necessarily to use mu-law as the default
codec (but I really don't think that is unthinkable as some have
suggested in the past), the objective is to reduce the bargaining
leverage of any possible patent troll from being able to demand the
economic value of the bandwideth saved by using their codec.