Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-reverse-servers (Nameservers for IPv4 and IPv6 Reverse Zones) to Proposed Standard

2010-01-04 20:05:09

On 2010-01-04, at 17:59, Joe Abley wrote:

On 2010-01-04, at 17:40, John R. Levine wrote:

If you could me more substantive guidance as to where the documents could
be improved, I'd be very happy. As things stand the best I can do is say
"I'm sorry" :-)

Well, OK.  Is there a plan to move the DNS for in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa to
the new set of servers?  If so, what is it?  Will it need more IAB or IETF
action?

There is a plan being developed to re-delegate IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA. The
plan is being developed by ICANN in conjunction with the five RIRs. Work has
been going on for some time, and the specification of the naming scheme for
the servers (i.e. this draft) is one of the pieces of the puzzle that needs
to be in place before the plan can be finalised.

To clarify my role in this, since I'm sending mail from a personal e-mail
address for ease of procmail-use and exchange-avoidance, I work for ICANN as
Director of DNS Operations, and I'm writing about this draft plan to
re-delegate IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA wearing that hat. Apologies if that
wasn't already clear.

Joe