Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-reverse-servers (Nameservers for IPv4 and IPv6 Reverse Zones) to Proposed Standard

2010-01-05 00:10:47
It would still be nice to put in an explanation of the motivation for adding
SINK.ARPA when its semantics and operations, at least for clients, appear
identical to whatever.INVALID.

I don't know that I have anything much to add to my previous answers to that
question.

Well, at this point there seems to be no practical difference at all between the two, which returns to the question of why we need two different ways to do the same thing.

If the problem is that people are unfamilar with .INVALID, that would suggest an informational or BCP to tell people how to use names known not to exist.

R's,
John