Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-reverse-servers (Nameservers for IPv4 and IPv6 Reverse Zones) to Proposed Standard

2010-01-05 09:48:21
Yeah. As far as I know, it is quite uncommon for applications to hard code treatment of .INVALID. But you seem to be saying that they do, and that causes problems that SINK.ARPA would solve. Tell us what they are.

There is one case where knowledge and special handling of the name may
cause problems:
 DNS "Liers" i.e. specialized DNS resolvers that make all
 non-existing name exist that do not generate "lie" for sink.arpa.

That strikes me as appropriate for a BCP, not a new domain. The non-existence of .INVALID has been well-documented since RFC 2606 in 1999, and ICANN has agreed to follow IETF technical domain name assignments since RFC 2860 in 2000. If you fear that people won't pay attention to those, why would they pay any more attention to a new document?

R's,
John