Re: [codec] WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-13 10:32:52
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, stephen botzko wrote:

A joint-body first agrees upon its charter and working methods, which allows
for any negotiation on IPR rules and membership, etc.

All of the companies I know who are active in the ITU are also active in the
IETF.  So it seems to me that there should be some willingness to work
together.

In any event, if the joint-body negotiations fail, then the IETF simply
proceeds on its own.  There is not much to lose, and as you seem to agree,
potentially a lot to gain.

Ok, in IETF spirit of "running code" etc, just start the IETF WG and start the work, and at the same time inform ITU about what's happening, and invite them to participate in the process.

Talking about work is just talking and is not productive. Actually starting the work brings urgency to the table and will increase leverage to any negotiations that might be taking place.

"Would the people saying it's impossible please get out of the way of the people actually doing it"

I see absolutely no good reason not to start the work and do negotiations with other SDOs on the side.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se