Re: [codec] WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-19 11:29:48
Hi,

stephane(_dot_)proust(_at_)orange-ftgroup(_dot_)com wrote:
The Charter states first the "The goal of this working group is to
develop a single high-quality  audio codec" considering (on what basis
?) that "there are no standardized, high-quality audio codecs that meet
all of the following three conditions"

However in a next section it is said that "The working group will
communicate detailed  description of the requirements and goals to other
SDOs including  the ITU-T, 3GPP, and MPEG to help determine if existing
codecs meet the requirements"

While I do think that "there are no standardized, high-quality audio codecs
that meet all of the following three conditions", it don't think it costs
anything to communicate the requirements to other SDOs to keep them
informed. There's also the (IMHO remote) possibility that a new codec in
another SDO gets created that fills the requirements. In any case, I do not
see a reason to stall the process waiting for all other SDOs that produce
codecs to respond. I don't believe the ITU-T/MPEG/3GPP work that way
either. We can't just keep doing liaisons, discussing process and holding
meetings. At some point it's also time to get work done. That being said, I
don't think anyone involved in this effort is there just for the fun of
writing codecs. If there wasn't a real need we wouldn't be here.

Cheers,

        Jean-Marc