Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-13 09:28:43

I see absolutely no good reason not to start the work and do
negotiations with other SDOs on the side.

That is thw way these joint bodies are usually formed (at least the
MPEG/ITU-T ones).  The group(s) form, and begin their
work.(independently)  In parallel the chairs and SDO management work out
the joint body organization.  It is easiest if the discussions on joint
body organization begin as soon as possible.

My experience is different. When the IETF works with another SDO, the final steps in approval are extremely painful. The IETF process does not meld well with others, and the result is that getting the exact same words published by both organizations is a near deadlock experience. It has been done, but only because of heroic efforts by chairs and editors. For this reason, I prefer a situation where one SDO runs their own process and the result is submitted to partners after the words are final. Of course, collaboration during the development of the document is most welcome, but the process rules of one SDO are governing the development.

Russ