RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-20 15:11:27
Hi all

We have in the past raised a number of issues with regards to IETF conducting
codec work. One aspect that we value that is contained in the charter is the
intent to producing IETF specific requirements that would be of benefit for the
community and other SDOs dealing with codecs.

As proposed by Xavier and his colleagues at Orange these requirements once
defined should be giving the opportunity to the community and to other SDOs
members to check for codecs potentially fullfilling the requirements. What
would be the point of conducting codec development when a standardized codec
out there fullfills the requirements ? So our interpretation of such proposed
phased approach is that the WG would be explicitely taking a decision to pursue
the work if there are no standardized codecs out there fullfilling the
requirements. That is fine to us. This would also be accomodated by the
following addition to the charter (based on Xavier's proposal):

"Once the first requirement establishment stage is completed, the working group
will then communicate detailed description of the requirements and goals to
other SDOs including the ITU-T, 3GPP, and MPEG. If an available standardized
codec actually fullfills, or codec under current standardization will likely
fulfil the requirements, then the working group may decide to terminate the
codec development work."

Regards
Ingemar
=================================
INGEMAR JOHANSSON  M.Sc.
Senior Research Engineer

Ericsson AB
Multimedia Technologies
Labratoriegränd 11
971 28, Luleå, Sweden
Phone +46-1071 43042
SMS/MMS +46-73 078 3289
ingemar(_dot_)s(_dot_)johansson(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com
www.ericsson.com
Visit http://labs.ericsson.com !