Re: [codec] WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-08 11:01:54

Herve Taddei wrote:
What do you mean by "this is work we have done before"? At least it has
never been the case in IETF, if that was the case why were there all these
discussions that IETF do not have the expertise to do that work?

There have been some activities to rubberstamp some codecs (iLBC, Speex
following some experimental tracks) but no activities related to the
standardization of new audio codecs.

I find it unlikely in the extreme that a bunch of engineers will sit
around in an ietf meeting and dream up a new audio codec. instead
inviduals will bring existing work into a working group, where it will
be accepted or not based on the charter, interest in the work etc.

To pick out speex for example audio codec geeks know the history of
celp, they also know the history of the development of speex by
Jean-Marc Valin. that's fairly congruent with my expectations as to how
this process would work on the front-end.

Show up with draft text and running code is vastly prefered to starting
with nothing.