RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-21 06:59:17
-----Original Message-----
From: Mans Nilsson [mailto:mansaxel(_at_)besserwisser(_dot_)org]
Sent: den 21 januari 2010 13:14
To: Ingemar Johansson S
Cc: codec(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

Date: Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:38:29AM +0100 Quoting Ingemar
Johansson S (ingemar(_dot_)s(_dot_)johansson(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com):

So our interpretation of such proposed phased approach is
that the WG
would be explicitely taking a decision to pursue the work
if there are
no standardized codecs out there fullfilling the requirements.

My interpretation of the situation is that this milestone
is in most
peoples rear-view mirror. The available codecs that could be
rubberstamped are all missing some of the desirable qualities, ie
internetability, licensing, sound quality, latency.

I would say that it is up to other SDOs to determine that once the
requirements are set.

Why?
What I try to say is that first the requirements must be set, only then will it
be possible for representatives of other SDOs to determine if already
standarddized codecs (or codecs under standardization) meet them.

The big problem is that technical and legal matters are
aired in the
same sentence and I beleive that even a Codec WG in IETF
will in the
end realize that the legal matters are the most complicated. But
enough said about this.

I do not disagree about legal issues being large blips on the
problem radar. The failure to grasp the business potential in
free  (fsvo free that meets BSD or GPL standards, just to
grab some examples) codec technology among those who have
traditionally produced codecs is one of the cornerstones in
why CODEC is needed and why I think IETF should keep a loose
liasion to other SDOen rather than lockstepping.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668