RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-21 03:39:03
Hi

See inline below

/Ingemar

-----Original Message-----
From: Mans Nilsson [mailto:mansaxel(_at_)besserwisser(_dot_)org]
Sent: den 21 januari 2010 01:03
To: Ingemar Johansson S
Cc: codec(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:09:18PM +0100 Quoting Ingemar
Johansson S (ingemar(_dot_)s(_dot_)johansson(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com):

So our interpretation of such proposed phased approach is
that the WG
would be explicitely taking a decision to pursue the work
if there are
no standardized codecs out there fullfilling the requirements.

My interpretation of the situation is that this milestone is
in most peoples rear-view mirror. The available codecs that
could be rubberstamped are all missing some of the desirable
qualities, ie internetability, licensing, sound quality, latency.
I would say that it is up to other SDOs to determine that once the requirements
are set. The big problem is that technical and legal matters are aired in the
same sentence and I beleive that even a Codec WG in IETF will in the end
realize that the legal matters are the most complicated. But enough said about
this.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668