Re: Above market hotel room rates

2010-03-24 02:00:22

If you care about hotel pricing, there is no excuse for complaining
about IETF rates in a location like Anaheim with dozens of alternatives
within walking distance. Using Orbitz, several weeks ago, I got a
cheaper rate across the street in the Mariott. Could have save more
a couple miles south.

hilton.com rates of right now have no relation to the rates which you
might have found 4 weeks ago ... any business with inventory like
hotel rooms, airline seats, etc. will frequently sharply discount
for very near term dates when they are below capacity.

The IETF on the other hand, reserves a block of rooms well in advance.
In addition, in some convention situations, room rates subsidize the
cost of meeting facilities. Don't know if that applies here.