Re: Above market hotel room rates

2010-03-24 09:58:18
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, David Morris wrote:

If you care about hotel pricing, there is no excuse for complaining
about IETF rates in a location like Anaheim with dozens of alternatives
within walking distance.

So far, I haven't complained (at least not on this list). I've just provided data. :-)

That said, I think it is fair to complain about rates at the meeting venue. There is a benefit to being on-site, and it's reasonable for us to be interested in the rates at the venue property. It may well be that the IAD is making the right set of tradeoffs here, as Spencer's note highlights.

hilton.com rates of right now have no relation to the rates which you
might have found 4 weeks ago ... any business with inventory like
hotel rooms, airline seats, etc. will frequently sharply discount
for very near term dates when they are below capacity.

You typically don't see airline tickets drop very much in price. And if they drop by more than the amount of the change fee (if any), one expects to see people cancel and rebook to take advantage of the lower fare. And if it happens often enough, people learn not to pay the premium for booking early, and the airline can't get early bookings. Hence the pressure on revenue management folks to make good projections and not need to drop prices late.

Similarly, I've rarely seen transparent hotel rates vary by this much[1]. To be clear: we're now seeing a walk-up rate at this hotel which is $75/night lower than our group rate. (Put another way, the group rate is 63% higher than the walk-up rate.)

The magnitude of the difference in this case seems worthy of being called out.

In addition, in some convention situations, room rates subsidize the
cost of meeting facilities. Don't know if that applies here.

I'm certain that it does.

-- Sam

[1] More typically, hotels offer lower rates through opaque channels like Priceline and Hotwire. As an example, the San Francisco Hilton was selling rooms on Hotwire for $89 during the week of our meeting there last year. Our group rate was $235. Their transparent rate (walk-up) was about $209. Less than our group rate, but not by as much as the opaque rate.