Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-03-30 09:16:14
On 30 mrt 2010, at 15:39, Basil Dolmatov wrote:

"OV-chipkaart" logo is already seen on some ticket machines, so I would be
glad to get an advice where and how these "chipkaarts" can be bought and
where it can be used except for train tickets purchase.

(Plural of "chipkaart" is "chipkaarten", or use "chipcards", but please not
"chipkaarts". In Dutch most words are pluralized with -en, some with -s.)

The OV-chipkaart (OV = openbaar vervoer = public transport, kaart = card) is
supposed to be rolled out in the province of Limburg, of which Maastricht is
the capital, this summer. If that happens, I will recommend anyone traveling
through Schiphol to get one. The existing paper bus/tram tickets are not all
that user friendly, some trips require invalidation of two strips, others
three. With the chipcard you "check in" when you enter the bus and "check out"
when you leave, no need to know about zone boundaries etc or master
Dutch/Limburgs to the degree that the bus driver understands you when you tell
him/her your stop.

The chipkaart costs 7,50 euros but the train trip between Schiphol and
Maastricht is 5,85 euros cheaper with the chipkaart than with a paper ticket so
you still come out ahead. You can get one from the ticket machines I believe
but it probably makes more sense to buy one at the ticket counter and ask them
to charge the card with the right amount of credit so you don't run out too
soon or get stuck with too much left. You also need to specify whether you want
to travel first or second class before you can use it in the train.

I'll compile detailed instructions in july.