RE: Ok .. I want my IETF app for my iPad ..

2010-04-11 11:26:49

Dan

P.S. Richard, yes, EPUB is great for the eBook readers...  next I
suppose you're going to want RFCs and I-D's in EPUB?  :-)   (And no, I
am NOT really trying to stir up the recently concluded chapter in the
ongoing IETF document format wars...)

RS> Well yes actually. My original thread was actually invite the epub folks
to hand over change control to the IETF like Jabber did with XMPP and then
we could use a document standard that was IETF anointed and reviewed. Done.

But then we wouldn't have the annual ritual of arguing about ID RFC formats
and it just wouldn't be the IETF if we didn't do that. We have to stand for
some traditions around here however irrelevant they are.

Though as Cullen pointed out having things that could allow tablet readers
to annotate and highlight text files like that would be a great boon and not
printing these things out all the time is a bonus.

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Tony Hansen wrote:

For RFCs and I-Ds, I use tools.ietf.org/html/rfc#### and
tools.ietf.org/html/draft-XXXX. An unsung feature of that tool is
that it both displays AND *prints properly*, using CSS to control
pagination. (It's a workaround for what you're complaining about,
but it works.)

   Tony Hansen
   tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

On 4/8/2010 10:47 AM, Richard Shockey wrote:
That was what I had in mind when I started this thread or maybe
configuration options for push of new WG drafts.

No browser including Safari displays ASCII text well and that has
been my
ultimate objection. It drives me nuts that I have to print out all
new
drafts to actually read them ( sorry HP ). If the app could convert
the
ASCII to something that allow for different fonts and auto
repagination
display that would be totally wonderful. That function alone has
been one of
the huge drivers for tablet devices as Amazon's own market analysis
has
determined. Its very very age skewed to the over 40 crowd. That is
why I'm
totally sold on the .epub format.