Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-05-06 16:05:05

Theodore Tso wrote:
This was my experience as well (I travel a lot, to many countries in
Europe and Asia, and have never had a problem until I travelled to the
Netherlands last year) --- except my ATM card didn't work, either. When
I talked to my bank, they told me it was because of fraud problems in
that country specifically; I would have needed to warn them at least a
few days in advance i was planning on visiting the Netherlands for them
to put my card on a special authorization list.

Many banks have a "not outside the country of origin except with
explicit permission" rule. My bank started this about 7 years ago. It's
not country-specific.

I encourage those intending to use their ATM cards overseas to similarly
inform their bank in advance.

Joe