RE: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-05-07 18:51:49
Hi, Jari,

Individual shop owners (and cab drivers) can always do what they want
(anywhere), even when the company they work for accepts cards.

As I noted, you can ask before you get into the cab.

More than once, I _have_ asked the driver specifically if he accepts credit
cards (the advertised policy notwithstanding) only to have him refuse it
upon arrival...

Though I agree with your recommendation that backup cash is always
useful -- in any city.

Indeed.

Joe

Jari Arkko wrote:
Joe,

You should have asked when you got in; many cabs in the US (in most
cities I've traveled to, and all the ones I've used at LAX where I
reside) do take credit cards.

The cab had a sign that said they take credit cards. Just that in the
end, that didn't turn out to be a true advertisement. In any case, my
point was not my specific travel problems. The point was that no
matter where you are going some cash is probably recommended. I
certainly recommend that for EU and Maastricht as well. You may
survive without, but you are definitely taking a risk with bad cabs,
foreign-credit-cards-not-accepted-ticket-machines, and the like.

Jari