Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-07 22:58:44
On 5/7/2010 8:54 AM, David Morris wrote:

The appropriate statement from the IESG at this time is to simply confirm
that the english word 'attend' encompases day-pass attendance. At the
present time, the maximum corruption, if it is indeed meaningful, is two
day passes and 1 full meeting. Still a lot of dedication to the IETF as
measured my travel time. I suspect that the nature of day-pass vs. full
registration is that folks for whom travel costs are a major fraction of
the expense would only use day passes for local IETFs ... but it really
doean't matter.

I think David has hit it right on the head here, and I disagree with the
IESG's statement on this basis.

Going forward I think Jari is probably on the right track, although
personally I would say something like, 'For the purposes of this section
1 out of the 3 "meetings" may consist of 2 day passes for any of the
last 5 meetings.'

As someone whose IETF participation looks like this:
1. 100% mailing lists for ~3 years
2. Mailing lists + attending most/nearly all meetings for ~3 years
3. Mailing lists + remote participation for almost 5 years

I feel pretty comfortable stating that I know the difference that
actually attending the meetings makes, and I do agree that it's an
important _component_ of what would qualify someone for the nomcom.
However as David correctly points out above, the worst possible "damage"
that could occur from the simple reading of 3777 does not justify
departure from the existing process. (Nor, IMO the level of attention
it's already received, but I digress.)

Meeting attendence as defined by registration is such a weak measure that
this whole discussion is really pretty silly.

Unfortunately it's one of the few that we can really quantify, and does
tend to have a fairly high correlation with the actual qualities that we
want to have in a nomcom candidate.

Of course one could also proceed down several other ratholes, including
the "Do we already have an embarrassment of riches in existing qualified
nomcom candidates" vs. "What is the value of encouraging and simplifying
the process of adding new blood to the pool?" But I won't.

hth,

Doug

                        -- Propellerheads