Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-07 11:41:30
On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 08:54:51AM -0700, David Morris wrote:

The RFC has already been cited and it just says attend. A day pass
consitutes attending ... changing the english definition after the fact
is changing the rules after the fact.

I think that argument begs the question.  It seems to me that this is
exactly what people are arguing about: whether registering for only
one day, being barred from other days, and paying for only that day,
is really "attending".  One could argue without straining that
"attending the meeting" means attending the whole thing or at least
the bulk of it, not just a small part of it.  Since "the IETF meeting"
lasts all week, people on a day pass do not, by definition, attend the
meeting (they attend no more than 1/5).

It was probably not clear from my earlier message, but my feeling on
this topic is that I don't care what temporary work around rules we
pick, given that we're running an experiment[1].  The key thing right
now, IMO, is to have _some_ ad hoc rule decided in advance so that we
don't have a problem when it is time to form the NomCom.  (I think
their work is hard enough without injecting a delay so we can argue
about who is qualified.  Of course, as others have observed, there is
only a tiny chance that anyone will volunteer who doesn't meet the
"standard" rule anyway.)  So I think it's acceptable that the IESG
pick some rule, even though there's a conflict of interest there; and
I don't feel strongly about what rule they pick, either.  I think
"roughly fair" in this case is just as good as "rough consensus."

If day passes continue to be a feature of the IETF, we'll need to open
the NomCom eligibility requirements.  As soon as we open the
requirements, 10 billion other issues with the current process rules
will also be up for discussion (in one of those IETF debates where we
attempt to make process rules for every annoying thing that has
happened in the past 5 years).  I predict that such discussion will
only complete slowly, so in the meantime we need some rule and for
everyone to know what it is.

[1] This situation also surely provides some indication of the care
that needs to be taken with future design of experiments of this sort.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.