Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 16:09:00
Russ Housley wrote:

From the discussion at the plenary, it was clear to me that some people
expected the purchase of a day pass to count as participating in that
IETF meeting, and that others had the opposite expectation.  Both views
have been expressed on this thread.  Thus, an interpretation of the rule
stated in RFC 3777 is needed.

I thought the current wording was "attending" the last 3 out of 5 IETF
Meetings, _not_ "participating".

Although I believe that the spirit is more about participation than
it is about paying a particular registration fee.

In the past, the 3-out-of-5 criteria could be met with the
"North America IETF meetings".  For 2011,2012, attending IETF meetings
in North America will no longer suffice for NomCom eligibility:

Summer 2010   Maastricht,  Netherlands     (Europe)
Fall   2010   Bejing,      China           (Asia)
Spring 2011   Prague,      Czech Republic  (Europe)
Summer 2011   Quebec City, Canada          (North America)
Fall   2011   Taipei,      Taiwan          (Asia)
Spring 2012                                (Europe, provisional)
Summer 2012                                (Asia,   provisional)
Fall   2012   Atlanta,     Georgia/US      (North America)

I would not be surprised if the pool of NomCom volunteers is
going to be much more affected by the upcoming meeting locations
than it would be by retroactively excluding meeting attendees
that purchased a day pass to limit their travel expenses in
an economic decline.

-Martin