Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 16:02:08

"todd" == todd glassey <tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net> writes:
    todd> Doesnt then also attending a meeting through a video
    todd> conference including streaming also qualify? Seems to me both
    todd> are reasonable methods of attending these days.

I also agree that we should diversify the meaning of attendance.
My preference has been essentially:
   - that to initially qualify you need something like 3 out-of-last-5
     *IN-PERSON* (and yes, I would exclude daypass)

   - but that to remain qualified, you need to attend 1 out-of-last-4
     in-person, and (remotely attend 2-out-of-last-5 OR
     author-at-least-3-revisions-of-draft).

The problem with video conferencing is that you don't get to do any of:
    1) chat in hallway
    2) chat at social
    3) be a tourist at something you know nothing about
    4) hang out in bar, and overhear something that matters
    5) overhear heated debate during fight for cookies

While it is possible that you might get up at 2am to attend a video
conference version of a session you don't care about, I doubt it.

And those above things are pretty important --- it's water cooler talk,
and if you haven't experienced it, then you likely don't know what the
social context things are.

While it's true that things can change after you qualify, and video
conferencing won't tell you much about that, my hope is that the
attendance requirement will update you on that.

(I was at about 8 out of 9 meetings from 1995 to 2004, and about 1
meeting/year since 2005, having missed remote attendance completely,
once.  I blame lack of well-endowed employers, combined with a lack of
desire to fly into the US, even though those meetings are generally
cheaper for me than non-NA ones.  Currently struggling with Maastrich
decision)

- --
] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.