Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 13:52:37

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 5/10/2010 11:08 AM, David Morris wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2010, Dave CROCKER wrote:
Given that the argument for /ex/clusiveness pertains to competence at
rendering judgment about IETF leadership candidates, can you explain why
lowering the bar helps produce better leadership selection?

Because from my own experience, I've demonstrated the bar has minimal
correlation with the reality of exposure to the IETF.

Secondly, I don't see this as lowering anything but a financial bar. For
an open organization, minimizing the bars to participation is actually
a better approach.

How does this trend at reducing the requirement for participation lead
anywhere but to eventually saying that anyone may volunteer, without any
regard for IETF experience?

All I'm really trying to highlight is that the current bar is an
essentially meaningless measure. If participation should be measured,
and I think it should, a better measure should be defined by some
future WG activity.