Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 12:24:43
This note assumes that it was correct (not merely reasonable, as reasonable folks can differ, and sometimes come to incorrect conclusions) for someone using the day pass program to assume that said attendance would count. While some people have asserted that they find it obvious that it should count, other people (myself included) do not find it at all obvious.

As far as I can tell, the rules do not tell us whether the day passes should or should not count. As Dave Crocker said, we have to make a choice. And either choice is going to be an error relative to some people's understanding of the rules.
One can craft arguments for making either error.

Personally, I would prefer to stick with the narrower ruling, matching the proposed text from the IESG, until we either have a permanent day pass program, with rules suitably defined, or do not have any more day passes to deal with.

Yours,
Joel