Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 03:53:28

I disagree with this policy action.

Looking at the data, there are very few, if any, people who would be
eligible as nomcom members under the current version of rule 14
(attended 3 out of 5 IETF's on any program) but not under the modified
version.  And then, we have not factored in that traditionally
only some 10% of the people eligible to volunteer for the nomcom,
actually volunteers (and only a few out those, are actually selected).
Further, of the non-daypass attendees, some 40% says that they did
not attend the full week but skipped one or more days from the
program.

If we add this all up, I'd estimate that there is about a 10% chance
that one of the people on the 2010-2011 nomcom attended 2 full meetings
plus 1 day of either Anaheim or Hiroshima, as compared to the other
nomcom members who attended 3 full meetings.  Can somebody explain
to me what the problem that we are trying to solve here is?

The IAOC has always said that the day-pass experiment will be evaluated
after a couple of meetings.  This has started and we plan to show data
and a way forward in Maastricht.  What we have also said that if the
experiment was turned into a regular feature, we'd review all documents
for attendence requirements and come up with a proposal how to
modify them.  This is still the case.

In short, I fail to see the need for a policy statement at this time.

Henk
(for himself, not necessarily for the full IAOC)

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746